Saturday 24 December 2011

Overall reflection

For about 14 weeks, I have learned so many wonderful things about teaching and learning in Science by applying the ICT. The thing that will be very useful when I take my first step in school.

Creating an e-portfolio was the first task given. E-portfolio is very important because it will tell the development of SSI 3013 throughout the semester where all the assignments, reflections and every class activity posted. It means this e-portfolio should be progressive from time to time. Before this, I do have my own personal blog but I'm not quite active in updating my blog. Perhaps it's my own blog, no one will evaluate whether it is updated or not. Differ from this e-portfolio, it can be considered as "special" because I always make sure it is updated. I do admit that my first focus is the evaluation but as I keep posting and sharing with others, I feel excited in giving what I have to others. What makes me more confident is, one of my followers is not from my AT16 course mates. For sure whatever I posted in this blog is something new to him. So, learning process is also occurring. Moreover, I can improve my ICT skills when I learn many new things.

I will never forget about the interactive whiteboard (IWB). It is really a smart board. This IWB portrays the extraordinary features where an ordinary board can't do. It has the properties of interactivity and collaborative. It will be such an enabler to teachers. The thing is, only several schools have this facility. Such a loss, I think. My experience using IWB in every presentation told me that I can capture all my friends' attention because the accessories are unique and attractive. That is what a teacher demand, attention. Learning process will be fun and at the same time teachers are at the right track in achieving the objectives.

Then, I learned about data logger, an invention that should be in every school. I and my friends were responsible to conduct an experiment using data logger. The focus in not the experiment but how data logger is utilised in facilitating the experiment conducted. It is proven that data logger has many advantages. My group for instance, conducting experiment about the effect of different materials on heat conduction. We use three different materials. Traditionally, we will repeat the experiment to test for different materials. For sure it is a lengthy process but with data logger, three reading can be taken simultaneously together with the graph. Less work to be done, right? In this age, I think we shouldn't be burden with such frivolous thing because there are many big things that we should focus.

Did I mention about simulation and modelling? Well, I also had been taught about these two. Simulation and modelling really help students to understand what they learned better. Some students cannot imagine the abstract process and they need to see concretely to understand. Considering their situation, our ministry has invested a lot of budget to hire ICT expertise to build learning software to aid in teaching and learning. With this great effort, teachers should appreciate and use it wisely. To me, I will certainly not to waste this sort of technology. I want to ensure my future students get what they deserve.

My last words, I want to stress about the importance of technology. I think if there's no technology, our life will be in chaos. Teaching and learning, especially, cannot occur smoothly. As a teacher to be, I demand technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment